Courier is on the hunt for a nine-month maternity cover to fill the role of Senior Art Director.
The Senior Art Director will be a creative problem-solver who can express their own vision while working collaboratively and be able to maintain brand consistency throughout all creative projects. They will be required to generate creative concepts across multiple touch-points, including print, digital and social, and will need to work with the Creative Director and design studio to create and deliver quality brand content.
For this role you will need to present a portfolio that showcases your editorial, print and digital experience – along with confidence and a level of leadership within your work.
• Develop and execute designs and layouts to completion for any editorial, including Courier magazine and commercial projects, under the guidance of the Creative Director.
• Oversee production for quality control through concept-development to print.
• Develop and execute designs and/or layouts to completion for any special projects, including books, marketing/event material and video production, under the guidance of the Creative Director.
• Execute technical print-production elements, including managing the magazine/newspaper through pre-press, proofing, pagination, and press passing.
• Working with the commercial team to develop and execute special print formats, arranging inserts and special print instructions.
• Creative research into design and graphic ideas and treatments.
• Work with the commercial and editorial teams to develop and create client presentations and partnership materials.
• Support the Creative Director by providing regular updates as to work progress on any current projects, and meet deadlines according to project schedules.
• Attend photoshoots in an Art Director capacity from time to time.
• Maintain the design language of Courier throughout all media created and represent the brand where needed.
• Oversee the Junior Designer in the absence of the Creative Director.
• Assist with any digital design that might arise, including the main Courier website or the Courier Weekly and/or social media under the guidance of the Creative Director.
• Take on and design commercial briefs for marketing initiatives across print and digital.
• Be always on the lookout for and researching new talent including photographers and illustrators as well as inspiration in the form of new designs of typography and present them to the Creative Director.
• Commission photoshoots where needed and support the Photo Editor in arranging and conceptualising shoots and/or call in imagery.
• Find freelancers for when extra resources are required, and to ensure they are a good fit for Courier.
• Manage freelancers alongside the Creative Director and aid in the day-to-day running of their workloads, helping to set them up with Google Drive etc.
• Remain actively aware of budgets under the guidance of the Creative Director.
• A wealth of experience and industry knowledge.
• The ability to be a real team player with a positive, enthusiastic and dedicated attitude.
• A strong understanding of typography and print layouts.
• Strong attention to detail and exemplary communication skills.
• A real ‘can-do’ attitude, putting in the hours to get the job done when needed.
• Excellent all-round knowledge of Adobe CC programs.
• Knowledge of Google Drive and Google Workspace.
• Ideally, some experience with the Mailchimp email platform.
How to apply
This role is full time and is based in London, although Courier is currently working remotely. Send your CV and portfolio along with a letter explaining why you’re the right person for the role to email@example.com. Please include the words ‘Senior Art Director’ in the subject. You must have a right to live and work in the UK to apply.