Since its foundation in 2007 It’s Nice That has become a trusted source of inspiration, championing the best of creativity online, in print and through our events. Winner of the Webby Award for Best Cultural Website 2020, we are a leading platform in the creative world reaching over 2 million people each month.
This role will be responsible for writing articles for the It’s Nice That News section on a daily basis. You will be asked to source and research newsworthy stories, discuss ideas with the rest of the editorial team, and write two articles per day to be published on our website.
You will also be asked to contribute across the rest of our editorial output through maintaining contacts, sourcing stories, and suggesting topics and creatives for us to cover. You will need to be proactive, enthusiastic, organised and a great communicator, as well as able and willing to work closely with the rest of the editorial team.
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the creative industry and an astute writer who can communicate in writing with clarity and personality. You will have an eye for a story and be able to strip away jargon and find an angle that’s interesting to our audience. You will be organised and proactive, and a highly motivated individual, who is keen to learn and grow your experience.
Below summarises the key qualities we are looking for:
- Passionate about creativity and with a good understanding of It’s Nice That and its place within the creative industry;
- A proficient writer who can write short-form articles with precision, clarity and personality, keeping in mind It’s Nice That’s approachable tone of voice;
- Knowledgeable about the creative industry and with good creative and cultural awareness;
- An accurate proofreader, with an eye for detail;
- Curious and inquisitive, not afraid to ask questions, always keen to find out more;
- A good communicator, in writing and in presenting to the team in meetings;
- Open-minded and creative when faced with a challenge;
- In the early stages of their career as a design journalist, keen to develop their skills, contacts and experience.
- Writing articles for our News section on a daily basis;
- Working closely with the Online Editor and wider team to curate the News section’s daily stories;
- Researching and reading other creative industry publications to keep abreast of topics and events affecting creative practitioners;
- Keeping an organised schedule of content for the News section;
- Creating It’s Nice That’s Daily, Weekly and Midweek newsletters;
- Taking part in editorial team meetings, contributing ideas for projects and commissions;
- Some other writing duties, e.g. Work articles and Feature ideas you feel passionate about;
- Building a contact list across the creative industry;
- Influencing It’s Nice That’s overall editorial direction, bringing your passions and opinions to the table;
- Being an active and enthusiastic member of the team.
Tasks & Skills
- Writing at least two News articles per day;
- Writing quickly with accuracy and in keeping with It’s Nice That’s tone of voice and style guide;
- Researching and finding interesting and original stories;
- Organising the daily schedule of News stories and planning ahead each week;
- Proofreading other writers’ stories;
- Using Photoshop to resize and edit images for the site;
- Using our CMS to build articles for publication;
- Using Mailchimp to build newsletters;
- Bringing creative editorial ideas to our regular editorial meetings.
Due to the Covid-19 global pandemic, It's Nice That teams are working remotely with the option to use our studio based in Haggerston, East London, for those who need it most. The company is supporting individuals to work from where they feel most comfortable for the remainder of 2021. We hope to facilitate teams who want to meet and collaborate on a regular basis post-lockdown.
- Salary: £22,568 – £24,000 depending on experience
- Reporting into: Online Editor
- Level: Junior
- Contract type: Full time
- Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am — 6pm (flexible hours between 8am – 7pm)
- Application deadline: EOD 19th May
- Interviews from: 24th May
- Start date: Late June / Early July 2021
How to apply
Please follow the link below