Hi, We’re Bulb. Nice to meet you. We’re working remotely to protect our team during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. But we are still hiring. So if you’re looking for a new role and you’re happy to take part in a remote interview, read on…
We are the UK's biggest green energy supplier, providing affordable, renewable energy to homes and businesses across the UK. Our mission is to help people lower their energy bills and reduce their carbon impact at the same time.
Founded in 2015, we were named the UK’s fastest growing private company in 2018 and 2019, and in February 2021 we were named Europe's fastest growing company by the Financial Times.
Over 1.7 million UK households have signed up to renewable energy by Bulb and we’ve now expanded into Texas, France and Spain. We’re an accredited Living Wage Employer; we’ve been picked as one of LinkedIn’s top 25 UK tech startups to work for; and we’re a certified B Corp.
As part of the Content, Design and Research team you will be working with multiple product teams to solve problems, develop new products and services, and make our existing products the best they can be. Between helping our members understand their energy use, developing new products for electric vehicle owners, helping vulnerable people get the support they need, setting great design standards through the design system, you won’t have a boring day at Bulb. The variety of projects we work on will give you the opportunity to practice a wide range of product design skills.
The Content, Design and Research team work closely together too. We learn from each other, pair on problems, hang out and eat cake.
You’ll be responsible for
- Working with product teams to understand each problem and come up with solutions
- Designing useful, usable and beautiful experiences for our members
- Knowing when to work on your own and when to pair with other designers, product managers, researchers, content designers, data scientists and engineers
- Taking ownership of your work from first idea to the day it ships – and beyond
- Contributing to product decisions, balancing vision with pragmatism
- Testing your designs with members, run experiments, dive into data and iterate based on what you’ve learned
- Running workshops, sketching and critique sessions to help bring new perspectives to the work
- Finding ways to improve our products and spot opportunities for new product ideas
- Championing inclusive and accessible design
- Contributing to Bulb’s design system, empowering teams to build better products quickly
A portfolio showing evidence of:
- Design process focused on understanding and solving problems
- Uncovering needs and finding ways to meet them
- Communicating concepts using journey maps, diagrams, sketches, etc
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses of different design solutions
- Using data and research to show you’ve solved the problem
- Designing for multiple platforms and devices
- Visual design craft and attention to detail
- Simplifying complexity
- Design products that meet user and business needs, and balance them with technical constraints
- Communicate clearly
- Give and receive constructive feedback
- Work in a team and on your own
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, discretionary share options and bonus
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
- Healthcare with Vitality after passing probation, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
- Cycle to work scheme
- One month sabbatical leave after your first year
We’re building a diverse, inclusive team
You’re welcome at Bulb wherever you’re from and whoever you are. We want to shake up the energy industry, and a diverse team that reflects our members will help us do just that. We know that sometimes, people don’t apply for a job because they don’t have every single skill listed in the job’s requirements. But there’s more to every role – and everyone at Bulb – than we can fit in a job description. So if you’re interested in a role here and believe you could be a good fit, we encourage you to apply. Even if you’re not ready now, if you're invited to interview with us you’ll get feedback on the skills you should grow to become a candidate in the future. We’ve written more about building a diverse team on the Bulb blog.