Bakken & Bæck is a technology-driven design studio working out of Oslo, Amsterdam, Bonn, and London. Building digital products, brands, and businesses, we help ambitious companies identify, explore and respond to new opportunities.
From defining the future home with IKEA to building decentralized platforms with Coinbase; we are in the business of breaking new grounds. As one international team across offices, we have all the skill-sets needed to help businesses adapt to an increasingly complex world.
We’re committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels comfortable, regardless of their identity, experiences, and beliefs. We want BB to be a place where you can try out new things with the risk of failing, where you can take ownership over your own work without being micromanaged, and where there’s a low barrier for coming up with ideas — no matter your job title or discipline.
Work-life balance shouldn’t be a perk, but a given. We strongly believe in flexibility, knowing that creativity doesn’t always happen between 9 and 5. At BB you’ll be given a lot of freedom, which means managing your own priorities, trying out new things, and working a flexible hours scheme.
About the role
Blending the promise of technological innovation with the power of human imagination.
We are now looking for a Head of Communications to join our team in Oslo, Bonn, London, or remote.
As a studio, it’s our aim to explore and implement new modes of interaction that evoke meaningful and inclusive connections between human beings and their technological surroundings. Combining strategy, storytelling and technology, we create bespoke and resilient digital scenarios that help brands to transmit their identity, ideas and stories in the right tone of voice on all relevant platforms. Our own brand shouldn’t be an exception.
As Head of Communications, you will be responsible for all aspects of BB's external communications. You will engage with people from all parts of the organisation—from writers, designers, and developers to product managers and business developers. Based on their input, you’ll actively shape and influence our communications strategy, and create new opportunity spaces for us to express who we are, what we do, and what we care about as a studio.
You understand how (visual) communication can be used as a tool to amplify and emphasize our culture and capabilities, and how engaging stories can help us build strong relationships with potential clients, as well as future talent.
What we’d like you to do
- Take full ownership, and lead the development and execution, of a clearly stated communications strategy for BB in close collaboration with leadership and other stakeholders.
- Seek new and creative ways to translate our work and culture into engaging stories that align with our business, discipline, and research objectives.
- Identify and develop analytic impact measurement tools that can be used to capture learnings and continuously improve our reach.
- Connect with team members to gather and create content (editorials, case studies, social media posts, ++) and identify communication opportunities (interviews, talks, award submissions, ++) around our client projects, company culture and internal initiatives.
- Work towards a comprehensive calendar to strategically control the publication of content across all external platforms, including our website, social media, decks, and events.
- Empower and mentor team members to contribute to our external communications by providing them with tools to pitch ideas, create content, or respond to speaking opportunities.
- Drive PR efforts by building and maintaining strong relationships with external partners and key publications to maximise the exposure of our stories, and develop thought-through PR strategies for our launches.
- Help identify opportunities for external events; contribute to planning and shaping these events in alignment with BB’s communication objectives.
- A proven track record of creating and implementing successful communications strategies within the tech and design field, preferably in a digital agency environment.
- Ability to create and maintain strong relationships with people across wide-ranging disciplines, and balance the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to listen, learn, understand, and then take appropriate action to develop and distribute thoughtful communications efforts in a diverse set of cultural landscapes.
- Ability to go from broad strategy development (synthesizing diverse messages and priorities into a cohesive strategy) to detailed execution (combining visual and written content and publishing across platforms).
- Excellent written, visual, and verbal communication skills, with the ability to translate technical subject matter into easy-to-understand concepts and messages.
- English fluency.
What you can look forward to
- Doing things together — When not in the midst of a global pandemic we like to get together as often as we can across offices. Yearly trips, meetups, parties, and dinners, or working on interesting projects together.
- Power your own ideas — Do you have a project you've always dreamed of? A company you admire, or a problem you are dying to solve? At BB you'll have a say in what projects we take on.
- Remote when you need — We try our best to keep location from obstructing our cross-office collaboration. As long as you have the possibility to come into the office a few times a week (for workshops, social gatherings, etc.), you're welcome to design a hybrid setup that works for you.
- Parental leave and baby bonus — We got the moms and dads in the company to design our very own “baby kit”, which includes a 20.000 kr bonus, so you can get a head start on your new parental adventures.
- Keep it healthy — We provide an extensive support package that includes solid health insurance, sponsored therapy sessions, access to physiological treatment, and a lot more.
- Learning Budget — You'll get an annual allowance of 15.000 NOK to use on courses, classes, or conferences - whatever you need to stay inspired and learn new things.