Hello Junior Designer
This is the perfect opportunity for an ambitious, talented Junior Designer to get their career off to a flying start in an exceptionally creative, successful and progressive Brighton-based agency. So if you are motivated by the concept of design-for-good and have a killer portfolio – alongside being bright, meticulous, keen to learn and fun to work with – then we want to hear from you.
THE JOB DETAILS
The salary for this role is £22-25k per annum, depending on experience.
This post-holder has a key part to play in the digital capability and reputation of our agency and needs to be able to:
- highly skilled in a broad range of design disciplines but especially those of brand identity programmes and brand development
- an excellent communicator at a number of levels. They are a confident, articulate and able presenter. They are skilled in briefing designers and writing creative briefs, reports, internal communications and correspondence
- ready to contribute with smart thinking and ideas for live projects and project proposals
- constantly staying tuned in to the latest developments in the design world, and with a natural curiosity for the world at large
- able to provide constructive, inspiring feedback to more junior designers and, as a result, their relations with them are open and collaborative. Confident to give them the freedom to experiment on challenging work
- a digital native, able to work collaboratively with our Front End Developers to help translate great design concepts into exceptional user experience.
Project management (20%)
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with our Account Director, Creative Director and Design Director as part of a wider team
- Professional and polite spoken and written communication with our team and our clients
- Able to easily build relationships with their clients and as a result, will be able to develop relationships with them to help spot business opportunities.
- Mac literate and able to use Adobe Creative Cloud suite of software including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, XD
- Font management software such as Typekit and Font Book.
- Proficiency in using Apple applications Pages, Keynote and Numbers
- Familiarity with animation and video editing software, such as AfterEffects, Premier, FinalCutPro.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- Professional, punctual and polite
- Good time-management skills. The post-holder needs to be able to work across several projects simultaneously
- Prioritisation skills
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to request support when appropriate
- Good written and verbal communication skills with close attention to detail and accuracy being extremely important
- Client experience e.g. contributing in meetings or presenting work
- Active and engaged contribution to project planning and schedule planning
- Mac OS fluent.
- Familiarity with the development of inspiring creative briefs
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Passionate about the design world
- Committed to continued personal-development
- Receptive to new ideas
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team
- Confident in own ability but smart enough to request help when its needed
- A strong eye for detail.
- Articulate, approachable, sensitive and discreet
- A natural collaborator and problem solver
- An appetite to develop new creative and technical skills as well as existing ones, and capable of spotting opportunities to integrate learnings into live projects
- Joined up thinking. You’re able to think steps ahead and anticipate potential issues that need to be communicated to the wider team at the earliest opportunity.
PERKS OF THE JOB
Remote: We enjoy being together as a team and working from our lovely studio in central Brighton. However you are free to work from home where you need to.
Flexible work schedule: We typically work on client projects five days a week between 9.30am to 6pm however you will decide how to structure your workday.
180: Our 180 initiative gives you two half days per year to do something inspiring or energising that you might not typically find the time for.
Holiday: 29 days inclusive of 8 bank holidays and your birthday. We also close every Christmas from 23rd December to 2nd January or the nearest Monday to it.
Studio lunch: We have an all team studio lunch every other Friday bringing in delicious food or heading out. It’s a great way to catch up with everyone ahead of the weekend.
Parties: We have two annual all-team parties off-site, one in Summer and the other in Winter. They always involve some fun activities, entertainment and some delicious food and drink.
Conferences and events: Budget is available to attend conferences and events, and we’ll cover the time and cost of any conference that you speak at.
Training, development and well-being: We are committed to learning, development and wellbeing, with a number of professional partners, courses and events available.
Travel loan: We will provide a loan up to £2,000 to cover the cost of pricey annual travel passes.
Ride to work: We encourage active travel and to support this have a ride to work initiative which allows you to purchase a new bike in a tax efficient way supported by a loan from us of up to £1,000.
Team meetings: Our Monday morning meeting gets the week off to an energetic start. We brew some strong coffee and talk about the weekend and the week ahead. Our Friday meeting is a chance to wind down with a drink, chat and ease into the weekend.
We are a small team at Baxter & Bailey so we try to keep the interview process as simple as possible and please dress in what makes you feel comfortable:
Interview 1: We will ask you to talk through your experience and a project you're particularly proud of. We’d also like to get to know who you are and how you see the world. We’d like you to ask us a few questions too. This interview will last 1 hour and be with a Design Director and the Creative Director.
Interview 2: If you’re invited to a second interview you will meet the team that you will be working with at Baxter & Bailey, during this 1 hour session you will be asked more questions and also have the opportunity to ask the team questions too. (1 hour).
If successful, you will be notified from the Creative Director that the role is yours.