About Wholegrain Digital
Wholegrain Digital is on a mission to use design and web technology to help create a sustainable future. We want to lead the way in becoming a truly sustainable business and greening the internet.
Established in 2007, we are one of Europe’s most established WordPress web design agencies, working with some of the world’s most positive organisations and we are proud to be a Certified B Corporation.
Based in London, our team adopt a semi-remote working culture with the aim of providing the perfect balance of customer service, team interaction, and work-life harmony. We work to create an inclusive and supportive environment in which people are empowered to do their best work and are valued for their contribution, regardless of their background. Our non-conventional structure avoids politics and bureaucracy, encouraging all team members to challenge and be challenged in order to continually improve every aspect of what we do.
About the Role
Wholegrain Digital is a world leader in sustainable web design and we are looking for a digital designer to help our team (and our industry) to set even higher standards in what we should expect from the web. We are looking for a digital designer who is visionary, creative, results focused and who genuinely cares about creating a better world.
This is a Monday to Thursday part-time role, with the possibility to work full time in the future. We take a semi-remote approach to work, which means you will be required to attend our London office Somerset House normally on Thursdays, for our team days and client meetings, and also meeting at client offices when needed.
Does this sound like you?
You are naturally creative and imaginative with a strong passion for keeping up-to-date with the latest design innovations and changes in the technology world. You are a team player, an excellent communicator, and have the drive and determination to ensure things are delivered on time and to the level of quality our customers expect. Ultimately, you have a genuine interest in creating a design that is also sustainable knowing that at Wholegrain we believe in the power of the web to create positive change.
- Creative, self-motivated, and a genuine team player
- Experience facilitating design and UX workshops with team members and clients
- Advanced Sketch and Photoshop skills
- Good time-management skills and an ability to juggle multiple projects with different deadlines
- Sufficient technical knowledge to ensure that your designs are feasible
- Curiosity to ask the right questions to identify client and user needs
- Ability to plan sitemaps, user journeys, and wireframes for websites
- Up-to-date with current design trends and usability best practices
- Understanding of how design decisions impact real world results
- Ability to communicate your ideas to others and have a strong eye for details
- Confidence to present creative ideas to clients
- A thought leader in design best practice and the purpose of design in society
- Front end development skills would be a bonus but are not essential
- Experience providing design advice to other members of a team
- Knowledge of the latest trends in typography
- UX experience and understanding of conversion optimisation
- Illustration and Animation (web animation) would be a bonus Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InVision and Whimsical will be very useful
Compensation and benefits:
- Flexible working
- Competitive salary, based on experience, the range for this role is £35 to £39K
- 22 days of holiday + 8 bank holidays
- Birthday off
- Extra day of leave for using renewable energy at home
- Paid volunteering opportunities, team days & team lunches
- Free access to London’s Santander bikes
- Climate Perks Scheme
- Discounts and invitations to events and facilities at Somerset House
Recruitment agencies - please don’t contact us.
How to apply
How To Apply:
We get a lot of good CVs but what we are really looking for is a remarkable individual. Please email email@example.com
Ensure you include a cover letter, CV and portfolio, with your application. Please note, we will only be in contact with successful applicants.
Your cover letter should include answers to the following questions:
- How do you incorporate current design trends in your work?
- How did your last two projects go?
- When you receive feedback from a client, how do you incorporate it into your designs? Tell me about a time you received harsh criticism for your work. What did you do? How did you handle it? What did you learn?
- Tell me what your process is like when working remotely. What do you feel is essential to ensure a project is completed efficiently?