Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph are looking for a middleweight creative. Be part of the design team where experimentation and learning are encouraged.
The award-winning Visual Storytelling team is an in-house creative team within The Telegraph working across digital, print, video, events, and marketing. We work directly with editorial stakeholders and a newsroom of over 500 journalists.
The department’s aim is brand awareness and core engagement across multiple age groups. Pushing the creative output daily, challenging the status quo whilst staying true to The Telegraph brand. All our work is made daily, with occasional weekly briefs.
See some of our work here Tumblr/Insta/
- Creating short visual stories, in an innovative and highly creative manner
- Working to fast-paced deadlines on edition based products
- Collaborating with Graphic Artists, Video Editors, Editors, Developers and Journalists to brainstorm and storyboard short stories for the day's topics
- Working closely with other designers to bring stories to life, in a short, snappy, highly visual format
- Working with the Art Director, to develop a leading industry approach on this platform and across other existing formats
- Good communication across departments is key
Essential skills required for the role
- An outstanding portfolio of projects
- Have a strong graphic design/illustration aesthetic
- Know your way around the full Adobe suite (Animate, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign plus Sketch)
- Have an open-minded and receptive approach to innovating and iterating your designs
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, working as part of a team
- Be interested in current affairs and have a passion for telling stories
- Be energetic, have an appetite for experimentation, and a good sense of fun
- A keen eye on current design trends
- A bonus understanding of motion graphics. Further training will be made available to candidates who require more skills in this area
What you can expect from The Telegraph if you’re the successful candidate
- Personal and career development opportunities such as communication, soft skills, and industry qualifications.
- Work within a dynamic team, that challenges the status quo and champions agile working &continuous improvement; adopting the Telegraph’s values - together, fearless, open-minded and informed - in everything we do.
- 25 days holiday; rising to 30 days after 3 years service, private pension, plus lifestyle, health &wellbeing, and financial benefits.