We're looking for a Graphic Designer.
Magnetic Rock is an incubator on a mission to build amazing digital products. Our founders are the same leadership team behind Helical Levity and Spinning Fox, and one of those founders - the group CDO, Tim Aikin - is looking a Graphic Designer to work with him on creative digital and print design projects across the businesses.
About the role
You'll be working directly for the CDO and the role will primarily involve creating various digital and print assets for a wide variety of company and product brands, as well as helping him design new brands as we explore new product ideas in the incubator.
Some examples of things you could be working on right now:
- Designing physical merchandise (everything from t-shirts to winners coins) for a cyber security education brand aimed at teenagers and to be used in national programmes in the UK and US.
- Helping design a brand for our headquarters, including working on designs and prototypes for things like signage, glass frosting and art work.
- Expanding the use of our company brands, including designing assets for use on social and merchandise for new joiners.
- Designing, laying out and getting print-ready a variety of educational material including posters and course books.
In general you'll be:
- Designing and creating a variety of digital assets for use in marketing campaigns, in our products, on our marketing sites and on social media.
- Creating a variety of print assets and physical merchandise across a number of different brands.
- Improving and expanding a variety of brand designs, including everything from working on new concepts to iterating on brand books.
- Getting involved in a variety of other exciting design-led projects.
Overall this is an amazing opportunity to work directly for an experienced design leader across a wide variety of brands, products and businesses, with the opportunity to make a real impact from day one.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a solid design education which covered the fundamentals of graphic design.
- Have 3+ years experience as a graphic designer, ideally in design agencies or product companies.
- Have a great portfolio which demonstrates the ability to create a wide variety of design work (e.g. visual, print, brand).
- Have the ability to quickly sketch and visualise ideas to create and communicate new concepts.
- Have an excellent working knowledge of Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop, with bonus points for experience with Sketch and Figma.
- Have a good understanding of how to use (and even design) brand guidelines.
- Be a natural problem solver and clear visual communicator, with the ability to take complex information and present it in appealing and understandable ways in a variety of formats to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Be organised, have an excellent attention to detail, and be able to work on multiple varied projects at once.
- Have exceptional communication skills which allow you to discuss your work with a variety of team members, clients and other stakeholders.
- Be a self starter, with a proactive approach to finding new ways to get the most out of our brands, products and businesses.
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience designing brands end-to-end, from concept through to implementation.
- Have a working knowledge of motion graphic design in After Effects or similar.
Other important details
- The role is permanent and full-time.
- Salary is negotiable and based on experience, but we expect it to be in the £25-40k region.
- We're a remote-first business (although we're looking for someone remote but based in the UK), but we do have an amazing office in Ascott-under-Wychwood (which we share with our sister companies) that can be used for meetings or even as a permanent working location if desired.
- Remote first. We have an amazing office in the Cotswolds for occassional meetings, but we're purposely set up to suit a remote team.
- Competitive salary. We're looking for the best talent and we're willing to pay for it.
- Great equipment. All team members use high spec Mac laptops or iMacs (plus any required peripherals).
- Private healthcare. We offer Vitality health insurance and free eye-tests.
- Generous holiday. 28 days plus bank holidays per year.
- Training and industry events. We're keen you stay at the top of your game, so we offer bespoke training and development opportunities.
- Part of a bigger team. We're a small company but part of a bigger collection of companies (including Helical Levity and Spinning Fox) run by the same leadership team.