Zak Group is a creative studio founded in London in 2005. We use graphic design, architecture, technology and visual art to give shape to contemporary visual culture for commercial and cultural clients. We are a multi-disciplinary studio that works across lanes on projects of varying scales for audiences of all types.
Zak Group is currently Annika Thiems, Asel Tambay, Julie Kim, Teo Furtado and Zak Kyes. Past team members are listed here.
We are looking for a middleweight designer with strong art direction, graphic design and type design skills that has experience producing high-quality mock-ups, renderings and drawings of objects and installations.
We work on a wide range of projects including: branding and identity, brand strategy, editorial strategy, product design and development (including fragrance, apparel and furniture), fashion show concept and design, retail experience concept and design, packaging, art direction of photoshoots, book design and web design/development.
As a designer at Zak Group you would be involved in: ideation, creative direction, art direction, brand strategy, spatial design, project management, research, prototyping, type design and logo design.
The designer is not required to have expertise and experience in all of these areas, but interest, willingness and the curiosity to learn are necessary. You will need to be comfortable bouncing between projects and roles (leading and supporting) and have the ability to make decisions and prioritise in a rapidly changing environment. All members of the studio work on all aspects and at every level from design to production (scheduling, costing, budgeting and project managing).
We are looking for a designer that is independent, positive, discrete, communicative, honest, ambitious, proactive, curious, wants to learn, self-motivated, has multiple interests, sees opportunities not problems and is prepared to do the work.
The position is full-time, in-house at Zak Group’s studio in Angel, London. After a two month probationary period you will have the opportunity to join the team full-time on an annual fixed-term contract. Depending on national guidelines this position may start on a remote basis. Working hours are 9am to 6pm, with occasional out-of hours work when necessary.
• A shared interest in Zak Group's mission, goals and culture
• Valid UK work permit
• Excellent spoken and written English
• 3-4 years design studio experience (London preferable) including print, digital and spatial
• Experience managing and supervising other designers
• Able to work collaboratively in a fluid environment under tight deadlines
• Experience producing high-quality mock-ups
• Enjoy working in a multi-disciplinary work environment
• Develop production specifications and obtain estimates
• Flexible, highly driven, self-motivated and punctual
• Commitment to working well as part of a team
• Are driven and can manage your time effectively
• Ability to listen to, learn from and provide constructive feedback
• Take incredible care and pride in execution
• Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite & G-Suite
• Proficiency in at least one of the following specialised design software: 3D, Motion, Glyphs
• Have a passion for art and design
• Bonus: knowledge of programming for web and digital platforms (HTML, CSS, jQuery, Vue.js) and ability to speak a second language
WATCH, LISTEN, READ
Zak Group Manifesto, presented at Barcelona Design Week
Ahali podcast, Can Altay in conversation with Zak Kyes
Zak Kyes on why we must not cancel culture
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Zak Group is an equal opportunity employer and has been accredited by the Living Wage Foundation as a London Living Wage employer. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants and do not discriminate in our hiring practices. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, gender, age, disability, religious or political beliefs, sexual orientation, economic status or class. We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds that are currently underrepresented within the creative industries.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a CV, portfolio of work and cover letter as three separate PDFs below and fill out our Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form. Your portfolio should show at least one project from concept to production-ready files. All projects should describe your role accurately. Your cover letter should state as clearly and succinctly why you belong at Zak Group. Please do not be long-winded.
No agencies and no calls, please.