Who are Flying Object?
Flying Object is a small, friendly, unconventional creative agency with in-house creative and production teams. We try to make work that is culturally interesting and delights audiences, as well as delivering meaningful impact for clients, usually brands - especially in tech - or cultural institutions and charities.
Usually that means we often create integrated campaigns with experiential (or something more unusual) at their core. Projects typically stem from an extensive creative process (rather like in an advertising agency) often involving collaboration with clients, and between producers and creatives. We then either produce the projects ourselves, assembling teams of freelancers and specialist suppliers, or (less frequently) we call in a production company.
Producers are integral to what we do, and are ambitious, collaborative and creative.
You can see some of our work for clients like Google, Twitter, YouTube, Wellcome, and Stand Up To Cancer at www.weareflyingobject.com. Highlights include an uninformative dating advice bureau for Twitter, a Late curated for the Museum of London, and an animation exploring the mental health implications of the Covid-19 lockdown for Wellcome.
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for an amazing mid to senior level producer with experiential experience to join our team of 11. We’ve got lovely clients and plans to grow, and we want you to grow with us.
You'll be working as the producer on projects and pitches from initial concepting through to pre-production, design and delivery. You’ll deliver experiential, print / OOH, less complex digital and hard to classify projects - basically almost everything except video. You will be managing clients on your projects, holding all communications and balancing the needs of the brief with the timeline and necessary budgetary considerations.
You’ll be working into the Head of Experiential much of the time, owning your own projects and pitches, or sizable chunks of larger campaigns, with help where required from a Production Assistant, as well as hiring and freelancers where we need them. You’ll be working alongside a very capable creative and design team, as well as video producers where necessary.
Essential and desirable experience
We’re looking for a producer with 5+ years of production experience.
Experience should include:
- 3+ years producing creatively driven experiential / events, being the sole owner of budgets across the £15k-£500k range
- Producing several significant experiential projects from scratch, i.e. assembling teams rather than just managing a production company or existing department
- Producing 3+ ‘non-experiential’ projects e.g. print, digital or arts projects
- Supporting and working collaboratively with creative teams, figuring out how to bring ideas to life
- Owning direct relationships with a range of clients throughout the production process
- Working successfully as part of a team as well as being solely responsible for the delivery of projects
- Making and managing budgets and useful timing plans for large and small projects
And it would be nice to have experience in:
- Managing the production aspects of pitches and helping to develop proposals
Strengths and Personal Attributes
We would like to see candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Has a genuine interest in Flying Object’s work
- Interested in making new and exciting stuff that people like (that might cleverly use old or new production techniques)
- Enjoys saying ‘Yes, we can find a way’, and also ‘I think there’s a better way’.
- An owner who will take responsibility, and a sharer who is happy to hand things over
- Comfortable with tight deadlines and calm in a storm
- Comfortable working with hypothetical projects, uncertainty and changing briefs in both structured and unstructured situations
- Proactive and thoughtful about speculative work and while in-between projects
- Great attention to detail.
- Knows how to balance time, budget and quality.
- A clear communicator who understands the value of good communication, and can share ideas, plans and instructions clearly and effectively, verbally or in writing
- Share our ‘Good Vibes’ values
What we offer to you
At Flying Object, we want to build an environment that allows all of our permanent team and freelance talent to do their very best work. This means:
Personal development plans for every team member
Flexible working arrangements, including opportunities to work from home* or adjust hours where needs be
We don't believe in working long hours for the sake of it. While busy periods are unavoidable, staying late or working on weekends is an exception only, and excessive hours are given back as time off in lieu
*Note: we are currently moving towards a hybrid working model where the full team is expected to be present in the office for at least two consecutive days a week, but can be flexible about home working on other days depending on meetings and client commitments.
Remuneration and timeline
Depending on experience we are offering a starting salary of £35-45k per annum, plus inclusion in our company pension and profit share schemes. There will be a 3 month probationary period.
We are hoping to agree on the chosen candidate by the first week of November following the successful completion of one phone screening call and two interviews with the team. The candidate’s start date will then depend on their notice period.