What Design Can Do (WDCD) is an international organisation that seeks to accelerate the transition to a sustainable, fair and just society using the power of design. WDCD team members contribute to this mission with their own expertise and creative power, and that’s where you come in.
As a Content Creator, you make scroll-stopping online content for a global audience. In this position you fill WDCD’s channels with the information and inspiration creatives are craving. You create content — in words and visuals — on intersectional issues such as climate justice, gender equality and circular design.
This Fall, WDCD is launching a new design Challenge, together with our partners in Mexico City, São Paulo, Nairobi, Delhi and Tokyo. This Challenge will be one of the main focuses for the organisation for the upcoming months, and will be especially prominent in your work as a Content Creator.
You’ll work with our (amazing) Communications team, consisting of a Communications Manager, PR & Media Manager, Blog Editor and — with this new role — Content Creator. We collaborate closely with the design and programme teams to deliver impactful content that helps our global creative community flourish.
Across all initiatives, WDCD’s aim is to present best practices and visions, to provoke discussion and to facilitate fruitful exchange between disciplines. Why? To demonstrate the power of design; to show that it can do more than make things pretty; and to empower designers to stand up, own up and lead.
As a Content Creator, here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Making a social media content calendar and executing it to a T, including planning, curating, researching & writing, across all platforms using Sprout Social;
- Creating captivating biweekly newsletters using Mailchimp;
- Engaging with WDCD’s online community, from DMs to comments;
- Selecting or adjusting visuals that connect to each story, using Adobe CS here and there;
- Maintaining and updating the organisation’s web content using WordPress, including writing copy and managing media;
- Monitoring and reporting on communications campaigns and projects, using data from digital tools including Google Analytics.
We are looking for a unique and creative colleague who brings the following:
- You know how to connect with many audiences in your writing with humour and optimism;
- You know how to find a visual for each story;
- You love finding ✨ the perfect emoji ✨ for a post;
- You have a keen eye for grammar and spelling, in addition to near-native fluency in English;
- You are motivated to share stories that are inclusive and accessible;
- You enjoy collaborating with many different colleagues;
- You are able to keep a good overview of various activities within a bustling organisation;
- You are comfortable writing about design topics centring social and environmental justice.
Here’s a little more about working with WDCD:
At WDCD, you will find a creative and challenging working atmosphere, where there’s always a new project on the horizon. You will be given plenty of space to do your work independently, with clear assignments and positive communication.
WDCD is based in the East of Amsterdam until September, when we’ll move our studio to the West of Amsterdam. All team members divide their time between working at home and in our Amsterdam studio. Fresh, vegetarian lunches are provided and enjoyed together with the team.
The salary for this role, based on ,8 FTE, is in the range of 2300-2800 gross per month (depending on experience), plus covered expenses, pension and 8% holiday allowance.