Visualisation of data as a role is a fundamental feature in the way that the Telegraph approaches storytelling and ultimately sets the news agenda in the UK.
The Head of Graphics at TMG will pitch and work with the design team to produce imaginative and world leading infographics that will shape the news agenda on a daily and sometimes on an hourly basis.
This talented individual will help guide a gifted team through the daily challenges of getting under the skin of the intended journalistic messages of the editor-in-chief and his team of editors and orchestrate the highest quality information graphics. This role will require a person who thrives under the pressure of a fast paced newsroom and will be as comfortable with print as well as digital graphics.
- Be the face of the design graphic team, meeting with stakeholders from across the business.
- Understand and identify their needs and build a clear vision which can be effectively translated by the Director of Graphic journalism and the team.
- Add fresh vision and imagination to infographics across The Telegraph
- Take initiative at editorial meetings by being part of the conversation and playing a key role in conceptualising and orchestrating effective infographics.
- Work with the Creative Director to facilitate best practice for integration of above into all TMG products over all platforms.
- Motivating and up-skilling the graphics department to work as one
- Develop the standard of information design across digital as well as print
- Collaborate with the Online Editor, Art Director of Live News, Design Director of Visual Storytelling as well as editors and journalists on the news floor
- Ensure a consistent style is adhered to for the presentation of graphics across all platforms
Skills required for the role
- A detail-orientated manager, who is passionate and confident about presenting stories in a visually compelling way that matches the standard of the Telegraph’s journalism.
- A wide visual vocabulary and historical knowledge of presentation of maps, data and infographics
- Excel at articulating motivation and reasoning behind design decisions
- Be curious about print and digital media landscape
- Be highly organised with exceptional time-keeping skills, able to juggle many demands and challenges simultaneously.
- Proven track record of team management skills.
- Strong portfolio of work demonstrating quality journalism and design leadership
- Experience working with online media, digital editions, social networks and digital trends.
- Experience in the media industry is preferable.
- A keen interest in news and current affairs
- Good numeracy skills and management of data
- The ability to to juggle multiple streams of work, perform well under high pressure and have a flexible attitude
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.
How to apply
To apply simply click the bellow link and complete our short application process.