We are a world-class visitor attraction and leading science research centre. We use the Museum's unique collections and our unrivalled expertise to tackle the biggest challenges facing the world today. We care for more than 80 million objects spanning billions of years and welcome more than five million visitors annually and 16 million visits to our website.
Today the Museum is more relevant and influential than ever. By attracting people from a range of backgrounds to work for us, we can continue to look at the world with fresh eyes and find new ways of doing things.
We employ 900 staff in a variety of roles, all united by our vision of a future where people and planet thrive. We need everyone to have the passion and drive to help us with our mission to create advocates for our planet and inspire millions to care about the natural world.
About the role
This is an exciting time to join the NHM Design Studio as we are developing a new visual identity and this role will be crucial in shaping the way we apply it. The new visual identity will build on our newly developed brand strategy which seeks to address the challenges of the planetary crisis and focuses the Museum’s attitude in response. As a graphic designer you will closely collaborate with other creatives to translate this vision using new brand assets to develop appropriate expressions that reinforce the Museum as a driving force at the intersections of science, culture and art at local, national and international level.
You will be road testing, fine tuning, and rolling out the new brand identity and developing designs for the broad range of audiences we serve as well as applying the new brand guidelines to a diverse set of initiatives and client briefs from across the museum.
The design studio is situated on the fifth floor overlooking the towers of our building in South Kensington and is at the heart of everything public facing at the Natural History Museum. We are a dynamic team of graphic designers, exhibition designers and architects responsible for strategically developing and designing for our buildings, temporary and permanent exhibitions, brand identity, visual communication, and marketing campaigns.
- Relevant practical experience.
- Degree or equivalent, in graphic design or relevant subject.
- Keen interest in graphic design and up to date knowledge of current trends.
- Excellent typographic skill, comfortable in both digital and static media.
- All-round knowledge of working with photography, illustration, and animation.
- Creative problem solver with the skill to use design thinking to tackle competing objectives in intelligent and beautiful ways.
- Critical thinker with the ability to challenge briefs and get the most out of projects.
- Collaborative practitioner with excellent people skills.
- Interest in brand systems and current best practice in branding and visual identities
- Up to date knowledge of universal design principles.
- In depth knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud. After effects, video editing and 3D modeling skills desirable.
- Ability to develop ideas and present them in a clear and engaging way.
- Being able to plan and deliver a diverse workload against competing deadlines.
- Interest in how museums and public sector organisations work.
- Passion for sustainable working practices.
Diversity and inclusion matter to us.
Our vision is of a future where both people and the planet thrive. Diversity is one of our core values and we strive to build a workplace where everyone feels a sense of belonging. All new staff who join us learn about the importance of diversity and inclusion to the Museum and how to contribute to creating an inclusive environment.
We know we have more to do, but we are committed to ensuring that everyone who works at the Museum feels they can thrive and feel valued and respected.