Applied Information Group is an award-winning multi-disciplinary consultancy that designs the interactions between people and the built environment. We offer a career in an important field at the intersection of design and planning with clients around the world, and are looking for people who have an active interest in the creative industries including architecture, urban design, digital or graphic design.
About the role
We are looking for a mid level wayfinding designer with industry experience to join our multidisciplinary design team in our London studio*. You will work as part of the wider team of designers, planners, strategists and researchers across all stages of our projects, delivering innovative wayfinding and information systems for the world’s leading cities, organisations and institutions.
Working at Applied means working on all aspects of the design process. From research, through strategy and concept, to detailed design and implementation. We expect designers to be motivated and passionate, with a keen graphic eye and ambition to deliver projects of the highest quality.
*Please note we are currently working from both the home and office, with most people typically working 2-3 days from the office and the rest from home.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for someone who has an interest in developing expertise in designing for how people navigate, understand and experience the built environment. Ideally, you will already have some wayfinding or environmental graphic design experience, though this is not essential. What is key to our work is being able to design with the user at the heart of all decisions, so you may also have a background in a related field such as UX, service design, editorial, interior, exhibition or information design and be interested in applying your skills to a new area. You also need to be comfortable working with clients and delivering presentations, with the support of the senior design team.
We are looking for a candidate with:
- 3–5 years’ experience within the design industry, (ideally with experience in wayfinding and/or environmental graphics but you may have a background in typography, editorial design, service-design thinking or UX/ user-centred design);
- A solid understanding of user-centered design principles, and an ability to ideate, visualise and iterate strong design concepts;
- The ability to take on a project ownership role, collaborating with wider teams, holding client relationships and taking your design from concept through to delivery;
- A portfolio that demonstrates graphic design experience and a dedication to the craft of your final designs (including wayfinding and environmental designs, strong typographic skills where relevant).
- The ability to talk and write articulately about your decision making and the developmental work behind your designs. At Applied we like design thinkers who champion the meaningful as much as the beautiful;
- As well as being highly collaborative, you will be proactive in approach, and efficient at working on your own initiative;
- The ability to conduct relevant research to support project deliverables and objectives and present your findings clearly and logically;
- Proficiency in core Adobe Creative Suite applications and office software. The company predominantly uses Google Workspace (Slides, Docs, Sheets).
Desirable/ Nice to haves
- An understanding of industrial and product design processes including 3D modelling/rendering would be very valuable when working alongside our industrial design team;
- Prior experience involving digital design would be valuable;
- Experience involving branding, industrial/product design, exhibition design, editorial design are also highly appreciated;
- Experience with BIM software including Revit would be a bonus;
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is an advantage.
If you are interested but unsure if you have what we are looking for please contact us.
Not sure this role is right for you? We are also recruiting for other roles, please see our Careers page on the company website for more details.
We are a company that is fully committed to advancing people and society and looking after the planet. Applied is currently working towards B-Corp certification. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
How to apply
Please attach a short cover letter explaining why you want to work at Applied and how you meet the job criteria outlined above with your CV, portfolio and any other links to your work/ profile to email@example.com. Please state in the subject line the position applied for: Mid-Level Designer - FirstName Last Name.
We will review applications and conduct interviews periodically so please apply early if you are interested. We will remove the job posting once the post has been filled.