Superblue champions artists whose ideas are best expressed through large-scale immersive installations that are audacious, evocative, and impactful. A global network of Superblue experiential art centers, as well as other physical and digital platforms, are currently underway to support this vision. Superblue’s first space opened in Miami in 2021. Superblue is an offshoot of leading contemporary art gallery Pace Gallery.
The Head Exhibition Designer leads the design process for Superblue exhibitions and installations. Based in London, this role will work closely with the Curatorial, Operations, Sales and Installation teams, located in both London and New York. Leveraging their extensive experience they will play a crucial role in establishing Superblue as a global pioneer of experiential art. The Head Exhibition Designer will work with a variety of key stakeholders such as curators and artists, as well as established networks to enhance Superblue’s program and visitor experience.
In addition to taking the lead on the design of exhibitions and installations, this will be a key role in establishing the brand of Superblue across all aspects of operations especially public engagement through all Superblue spaces.
• Executes the Superblue’s vision, ensuring narratives and concepts of the exhibitions are reinforced through space design
• Works closely with the curatorial, operations and sales teams to execute the design vision for exhibitions and artist projects
• Ensures that exhibition spaces in potential venues are functional to the presentation of artworks desired
• Acts as the point of contact between the artists / studios and any exhibition design / space related questions
• Considers visitor flow and design circulation spaces between artworks; this includes looking at wayfinding strategy and accessibility
• Looks into visitor flow from the perspective of preserving the integrity of the artwork’s experience (in collaboration with the team, looking at numbers from a capacity / financial perspective).
• Draws CAD plans on how to articulate different elements of all artworks in space when needed
• Oversees all stages of the design process: conceptual, design, prototyping, design development, fabrication, and installation
• Partners with other designers, media and brand experts to ensure the Superblue brand and industry presence is authentically represented
• Develops and maintains successful working relationships with vendors
• Drives a truly innovative approach and culture around design solutions, nurturing risk taking and experimentation where possible
• Works closely with Marketing and the entire Agency Department to develop customer engagement strategies through Experiential Art Centres
•Designing presentations to communicate potential exhibitions and projects
•Creating renderings, floorplans and other visualizations of potential projects.
• Organizing and maintaining artwork image and information libraries.
• Designs wayfinding and exhibition graphics when needed.
KEY CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS:
• Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience working in exhibition design, with a portfolio of interesting projects, ideally within the arts sector.
• Bachelor’s degree in Design /Industrial Design / Fine Art / Visual Media / Architecture or related field
• A strong knowledge of contemporary critical design discourse in the Arts
• An entrepreneurial drive, with the desire and curiosity to continuously challenge the way things are done
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the proven ability to interpret and support artistic vision
• Deep knowledge of the spatial design in a large-scale gallery, museum, or art institution setting
• A commitment to understanding a wide range of perspectives and audiences, with a true passion for diversity
• Knowledge of 3d modelling.
• Good knowledge of Adobe suite. Photoshop skills particularly valued to produce visualizations
• Knowledge of graphic design
At Superblue, we believe art has the power to change how we see the world. Our mission is to make the world’s leading experiential artists – and their transformative power – accessible to everyone by breaking the pattern of art as an owned object, into a meaningful, shared experience that inspires positive change. To this end, Superblue will run and curate its own Experiential Art Centers globally. We represent a community of diverse contemporary artists who create transformative experiences with the potential to change how people see the world, how they relate to it and the impact they can have on it. We bring people together, raise awareness about global issues and encourage positive change through collective action.
We are: Curious, Accessible, Diverse, Vanguard, and Partner Oriented
We are a fusion of intellectual energy, passion for the arts, and entrepreneurial spirit. We welcome a diverse set of experiences to broaden the conversation. We look for people who embody confidence and humility simultaneously. We like people who listen and contribute. We invite you to bring your whole being to work; your authentic self is welcomed at Superblue, and your life experience is valued. We want to hear what inspires you. If you believe that culture has the power to change minds, we invite you to apply for one of our exciting positions at Superblue, where you will have an immediate chance to contribute and have meaningful impact.
Superblue is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex or gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or arrest record. Our leadership team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, promotion, transfer, training, compensation & benefits, and all general treatment during employment.
How to apply
If you think you are suitable for the role, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org providing your CV, portfolio (under 10MB) and a brief paragraph on why you are interested in the role.