We’re looking for a highly creative midweight designer with a keen interest in information design and illustration to join our London design team and work on projects with social progress at their heart. In this role, you’ll be hands-on creating beautifully crafted designs across all mediums.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- Working within our fast-paced design team, you will get involved in a diverse range of projects at every stage – from taking client briefs and idea generation, through to design development, artworking, production and delivery.
- You’ll be working with some of the world’s leading mission-driven policy, research and advocacy organisations. You’ll produce a wide range of digital and print materials, including: editorial projects, illustrations, infographics and data visualisations, animations, microsites and campaigns, visual identities and brand rollouts. You will assist the client services team in quoting for work and engage with clients and colleagues from different backgrounds (content strategists, copywriters and the editorial team).
- You’ll be mentored by senior colleagues, providing the opportunity to learn new skills and hone creative flair and detail. We expect all our staff to act autonomously and take responsibility for their own projects – with support when they need it, of course – so they can feel a personal sense of accomplishment.
Here’s the sort of skills and experience you’ll have
- You’ll have a track record of working across a range of design projects and a minimum of two years experience under your belt.
- You have brilliant layout and typography skills, with a meticulous eye for detail and ability to easily liaise between print and digital artwork.
- You are highly adept in using all of the core Adobe CC programmes – Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop in particular. Previous experience in using online data visualisation tools, animation and Figma is a plus.
- You love crafting beautiful work and can clearly articulate how your ideas lead to a final design.
- You have great organisation skills. You’re happy working on multiple projects simultaneously, setting priorities and seeking help from colleagues when required.
- If you are an experienced junior designer and feel ready to step up to the next level, please present your case and we will be happy to consider this as part of your application.
- You must also have fluent written and spoken English.
Here’s a bit about us
Soapbox is a creative studio for ideas that matter. We partner with forward-thinking organisations to turn knowledge and evidence into social progress. We are designers, web developers, writers, thinkers, storytellers and problem-solvers. We are passionate about the power of ideas and evidence to build a better world.
We are a flexible and fair employer and our values run through everything we do, from the clients we work with to the way we treat our staff. This has helped us to build a close-knit, hard-working and ambitious team. Many of our colleagues have worked with us for a large part of their career, advancing professionally over their years with us. The role is based in our beautiful Whitechapel studio, working alongside like-minded designers, developers and strategists at the top of their field. Soapbox supports hybrid working but you can attend the studio full time if that’s your preference
We are committed to equality of opportunity and know that including employees with a diverse range of perspectives and experiences will improve the quality and creativity of the services we provide. We particularly welcome applications from candidates who are members of groups that are currently under-represented at Soapbox, including LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and people from minority ethnic and religious communities.
Here’s what we offer
- 25 days paid annual holiday, plus a three-day Christmas closure and public holidays. You’ll get your birthday off too.
- Cycle-to-work scheme, tech loans and season ticket loans.
- Flexible working around core hours and hybrid working.
- Generous parental leave and other family-friendly policies.
- Matched pension contributions.
- Barista quality coffee, snacks and fresh fruit.