Hello Front End Developer
This is the perfect opportunity for a talented Front End Developer with 3+ years professional experience to further their career in an exceptionally creative, successful and progressive Brighton-based creative agency. So if you are motivated by the concept of design-for-good and have the relevant skills and experience – alongside being bright, meticulous, keen to learn and fun to work with – then we want to hear from you.
Front end development (80%)
This post-holder has a key part to play in the digital capability and reputation of our agency and needs to be able to:
Support and collaborate with our full-time Digital Director and design team with coding on live project work
Communicate daily with the Digital Director on project progress, updates and challenges
Contribute with smart thinking and ideas for live projects and project proposals
Stay tuned in on the latest developments in the digital world and self initiate your own research and learning to solve problems and learn new skills
Project management (20%)
Support the Digital Director with project administration and research as requested and required
Communicate and collaborate effectively with our Account Director and Design Directors as part of a wider team
Professional and polite spoken and written communication with our team and our clients
Create and maintain project and build documentation
Please note: WordPress is still our current core web build platform and CMS of choice, so WP experience is essential. However, we are bringing headless and other systems into the mix, so experience in and desire to deliver progressive, modern JS solutions is equally essential.
- Excellent HTML
- Excellent PHP
- Excellent CSS (SASS/SCSS and Post CSS)
- Extensive WordPress, ACF and WooCommerce experience inc. full custom template creation from scratch
- Workflow experience: build tools/task runners, version control and repository management (Git)
- JS front-end experience (React, Vue)
- Web animation and interactivity experience with examples (i.e. GSAP, Lottie, CSS animation)
- Experienced meeting accessibility requirements (WCAG), W3C standards where appropriate and cross-browser development
- Ability to deliver performance optimisation for websites
- Headless CMS, APIs (GraphQL, REST) + JS front-end experience (Vue, React, Gatsby etc.) a bonus
- Shopify knowledge a bonus
- Technical ambition
- Demonstrate self-driven learning and skills improvement
- Understanding of latest and future technologies (JS frameworks, headless CMS, PWA etc.) and their advantages/disadvantages
- UI Skills
- Ability to confidently interpret design into build, understanding the concepts of design patterns, reusability and robust global styling systems
- Comfortable making UI build decisions (i.e. what a section will look like at mobile) based on overall designs
- Familiarity with Adobe XD
Project management skills
- Professional, punctual and polite
- Experience and confidence in client meetings, workshops and presentations
- Ability to manage and support other members of the digital team
- Good time-management skills and ability to work across several projects simultaneously
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to request support when appropriate
- Good written and verbal communication skills with close attention to detail and accuracy being extremely important
- Mac OS literate and experience in using iWork and Microsoft Office software suites
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud suite of software
Personal qualities and skills
- Passionate about the digital world
- Commitment to continued personal-development
- An appetite to develop new skills as well as existing ones, and capable of spotting opportunities to integrate learnings into live projects
- Receptive to new ideas
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team
- Confident in own ability but smart enough to request help when it’s needed
- A strong eye for detail
- Articulate, approachable, sensitive and discreet
- A natural collaborator and problem solver
- An appetite to develop new technical skills as well as existing ones, and capable of spotting opportunities to integrate learnings into live projects
- Joined up thinking. You’re able to think steps ahead and anticipate potential issues that need to be communicated to the wider team at the earliest opportunity
Perks of the job
Remote: We enjoy being together as a team and working from our lovely studio in central Brighton. However you are free to work from home where you need to.
Flexible work schedule: We typically work on client projects five days a week between 9.30am to 6pm however you will decide how to structure your workday.
180: Our 180 initiative gives you two half days per year to do something inspiring or energising that you might not typically find the time for.
Holiday: 29 days inclusive of 8 bank holidays and your birthday. We also close every Christmas from 23rd December to 2nd January or the nearest Monday to it.
Studio lunch: We have an all team studio lunch every other Friday bringing in delicious food or heading out. It’s a great way to catch up with everyone ahead of the weekend.
Parties: We have two annual all-team parties off-site, one in Summer and the other in Winter. They always involve some fun activities, entertainment and some delicious food and drink.
Conferences and events: Budget is available to attend conferences and events, and we’ll cover the time and cost of any conference that you speak at.
Training, development and well-being: We are committed to learning, development and wellbeing, with a number of professional partners, courses and events available.
Travel loan: We will provide a loan up to £2,000 to cover the cost of pricey annual travel passes.
Ride to work: We encourage active travel and to support this have a ride to work initiative which allows you to purchase a new bike in a tax efficient way supported by a loan from us of up to £1,000.
Team meetings: Our Monday morning meeting gets the week off to an energetic start. We brew some strong coffee and talk about the weekend and the week ahead. Our Friday meeting is a chance to wind down with a drink, chat and ease into the weekend.
We are a small team at Baxter & Bailey so we try to keep the interview process as simple as possible and please dress in what makes you feel comfortable:
Interview 1: We will ask you to talk through your experience and a project you’re particularly proud of. We’d also like to get to know who you are and how you see the world. We’d like you to ask us a few questions too. This interview will last 1 hour and be with the Digital Director, Strategy Director and Account Director.
Interview 2: If you’re invited to a second interview you will meet the team that you will be working with at Baxter & Bailey, during this 1 hour session you will be asked more questions and also have the opportunity to ask the team questions too. (1 hour).
Decision: If successful, you will be notified from the Digital Director that the role is yours.
We adopt a coaching culture. You can rely on company Directors and members of the team to support you. Equally, the team will be able to rely on you for your support and specialist expertise.
We fully embrace collaboration in everything we do to deliver outstanding design and digital work.
We value and respect all differences in all people and ensure a working environment that reflects the clients we work for. All our team have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future. Our Equality and Diversity policy can be read here.
We strive to be a sustainable enterprise and communicate our commitment to sustainability to our team, clients, suppliers and wider audiences. We are currently working towards B Corporation certification. Our Sustainability policy can be read here.
We advise that before you apply, you should go through the projects on the Baxter & Bailey website and see if we are the right fit to advance your career journey.