We’re looking for a passionate design leader that blends quality with ingenuity.
Maybe you’re a graphic designer looking to take on more creative ownership, or maybe you’ve run your own studio and would like to apply your multi disciplined experience at an industry leading practice. What matters is that you are creatively ambitious, have a keen eye for detail and a structured approach to leading a design team.
We are Canvas8, the global leader in behavioral insights operating out of London, New York, and, LA. We help organizations grow through a better understanding of people. Primarily focused on media, communications, and product development, our insights inspire clients including Nike, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Google, Mindshare, Ogilvy, and MTV.
Our work is about investigating the hidden insights in everyday life – from the psychology of boredom to teenage make-up rituals – and making them meaningful for brands. Our team is a blend of different disciplines and skills – from psychology to journalism, and anthropology to behavioral economics. What unites us is a desire to understand people and a passion for delivering outstanding work.
Our flagship product is the Canvas8 Membership, including the Canvas8 Library - an online platform of over 30,000 trend reports and case studies spanning 15 industries and 9 markets. The Library is complemented by our bespoke research projects, where we answer a client’s business challenge through mixed research methodologies to deliver compelling thought leadership.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Great design has always been at the heart of the Canvas8 offer and is a crucial component of our ability to communicate strategic insights that deliver impact. Design enables us to translate rigorous analysis and unlock creative inspiration in a way that cuts through because it is intuitive, unique and creates a memorable experience. We’re looking for someone who will elevate our creative direction and evolve our design function to deliver industry leading solutions.
Reporting to the Head of Product, we are looking for a passionate, multidisciplinary Lead Designer to join the Canvas8 team. This person will own our design function, managing two direct reports and working alongside the senior leadership to direct the visual identity of the business. They will be responsible for the quality of Canvas8’s creative and visual outputs, delivering on ambitious concepts and evolving our design capabilities. In any one day they may be directing the storyboard for video trailers, devising visual identities for client reports, or workshopping elevated user interfaces for our digital platform. As an inspiring design leader, they will also implement design processes to elevate our work and communicate the value of design across the business.
Design creative solutions that respond to our client needs and brand personality
Inspire and direct the design team to fulfil briefs and elevate the quality of our work
Lead by example; producing treatments, showcasing creative values and applying effective design practices
Creative leadership over our visual identity and across all brand campaigns
Provide clear, insightful and objective critiques of creative work to develop junior designers
Project managing design sprints and implementing new design processes
Collaborating with senior stakeholders identify new creative opportunities that will amplify the brand and drive the business forward - from new brand campaigns, innovative marketing assets or web product redesigns
This is an incredible opportunity for an integrated designer who understands how to create elevated visual experiences – anything from print to video to digital and web applications. They will understand how to translate briefs into creative solutions and apply strong conceptual thinking to build creative treatments and build a design vision. They will be both a thinker and a doer: a person with creative confidence, enthusiasm, energy and integrity who enjoys collaborating to deliver against tight deadlines and quality standards.
The successful candidate will be an experienced and talented lead designer who is passionate about inspiring creativity in others, as well as being hands on in shaping, growing and differentiating our design offering. They should understand how to implement necessary design processes and manage workload across the team. They will be involved in transforming the design function, so we are looking for someone who is ambitious, organised and confident when implementing design processes, helping to maximize design’s impact on both our client work and on our overall brand.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- 6+ years design experience with experience managing/leading creatives
- Qualification in Graphic Design or Visual Communications or equivalent
- A track record of work that demonstrates creativity, analytical thinking and effectiveness
- Multi-discipline design knowledge, experience at designing across all touchpoints: digital, print, web, data visualisation video/motion, etc.
- Thinks strategically as well as aesthetically to deliver big ideas that enable transformation
- A powerful communicator, with strong storytelling and presentation skills
- An organised and detail-oriented problem solver
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, managing design projects and hitting deadlines
- A proven team player confident leader, driven by delivering results through collaboration
- Up to date on the latest industry trends and techniques
We believe in supporting our colleagues to do work that fascinates them: we’re a group of intelligent and kind people who want to see each other succeed.
- A competitive starting salary, £42k to £48k dependant on experience
- Annual bonus in addition to basic salary
- 21 days paid holiday + bank holidays
- A workplace pension with company match above minimum requirements
- Life insurance
- Access to physical and mental wellbeing support
- Cashback private health plan and cycle scheme
- Summer Fridays, other seasonal benefits and staff socials
- Working with a friendly and welcoming team (included a dog called Oscar)
If you think you’re a good fit and share our values please apply below outlining why and attaching your CV. Thank you for your interest. We’re excited to meet you.