Your brand is at a party with all their competitors and one customer. Between the clatter of glasses and the inevitable small talk, the room turns to you. What story do you have up your sleeve…?
So starts our brand positioning workshop at Sonder & Tell. As an agency specialising in brand story, tone and copywriting, stories are the product of working with us but they’re also part of our process. How we test ideas and get teams thinking along narrative lines.
We’re looking for a creative strategist who loves to write. An entrepreneurial individual and workshop facilitator who can be a driving force in an exciting team. Your key responsibility will be owning and driving forward our workshop offering: an in-demand, sprint-style process for brands that don’t have the time for a three-month long exploration. It’s full of exciting start-ups and people who like bouncing ideas around as much as you.
Currently we’re a team of four, made up of our founders and Directors Kate (CEO) and Emily (Strategy Director), our Project and Community Manager Cat and Creative Copywriter Georgia. We’re growing quickly and will be hiring again later in the year.
What We’ve Done
Since launching three years ago we’ve re-positioned and re-storied consumer-facing brands like Rude Health, Lick Home and Cath Kidston. Given Bumble UK and THE OUT a new tone of voice. And run workshops for the likes of Sweaty Betty, Stitch & Story, The Deck and Radley.
The role is a hybrid of strategy, creative, conceptual thinking, marketing, workshop facilitation and copywriting. The right candidate will be able to wear all these hats. You will own and propel forward our brand strategy workshops on positioning, story and tone of voice – from reaching out to prospective businesses and pitching, to research and brand narrative delivery.
While some clients are happy to invest in a longer-term process, others want to get to a good territory for their story and tone fast. This is what our workshop offering is about. Day to day and week to week you’ll be moving across a range of clients and so will need to be able to get businesses quickly, and adapt your style to each brand.
We’re looking for someone who’s independent and entrepreneurial. Who’s comfortable taking ownership of our workshop offering and making it theirs. We’re also looking for someone who’s confident challenging concepts and assumptions on the spot. You’ll be writing yourself, or working in a partnership with a copywriter to create and deliver on briefs off the back of a workshop. You’ll also work with our Strategy Director (Emily) on co-creating brand concepts, building narratives and tone of voice for longer-term briefs, as well as content and social strategy.
Your responsibilities will be varied but will include:
– Leading our strategic workshop offering at Sonder & Tell right through from pitching to research, execution and delivery
– Mastering and marketing our current workshops on brand positioning, story and tone of voice
– Developing new workshops that can sit in the S&T wheelhouse – from brand strategy to social and newsletter.
– Filling the calendar with exciting new businesses, consumer-facing brands and start-ups that want to work with S&T
– Identifying individuals, brands, other agencies that we can collaborate with on co-branded workshops that add a new dimension to our offering
– Identifying workshop clients that need more support from Sonder & Tell
– Pitching in on creative strategy for bigger briefs
The ideal person will:
– Have three to four years’ experience in a creative role that involved strategy or vice versa – ideally you have some agency experience
– Good knowledge of creative strategy – from positioning to narrative and content
– A self-starter, someone with ambition for themselves and the company, you will always want to make an idea better
– Be a confident facilitator of workshops – both critical and constructive, comfortable challenging ideas on the spot
– An excellent communicator of thought processes. You’ll be comfortable presenting to senior stakeholders
– Be a solid writer, able to express strategic ideas in words
– A university degree is not prerequisite – we'll consider people based on the strength of their work and enthusiasm for the challenge
Benefits of working at Sonder & Tell:
– Opportunity to become a leading role in a growing company
– A creative working environment and supportive team culture
– Workplace pension offered through NEST
– Coaching with MoreHappi 2x a month
– Workplace wellness package through Juno
– Learning & Development budget
On Inclusive Storytelling:
We named our company Sonder & Tell after the made-up word ‘sonder’ which means that everyone has their own story; their own unique way of seeing the world. We value inclusive storytelling and are committed to hiring people from diverse backgrounds. Not just because it’s the right thing to do but because it makes for richer stories. After all, it’s only through inclusive conversations that we can hope to build diverse and inclusive brands. If you share our values (and a passion for grammar memes), you’ll find a home at Sonder & Tell.