One night, three brands, each of them friendly, authentic and human walk into a bar.
“Hello! I’d like some tap water please.”
“Me too. Maybe with some ice and a slice of lemon? Thanks!”
“Er, yeah. I’ll have the same, if that’s okay. Thank you.”
Nobody remembered them. That’s it. That’s the punchline.
We’re Sonder & Tell – an agency specialising in brand story, tone of voice and creative copywriting – and we’re looking for a Creative Strategist who can turn this joke upside down. An
entrepreneurial thinker and storyteller who knows the value of language and personality in building brands.
Your key responsibility will be owning our tone of voice offering – position, create and build out actionable and differentiated tone of voice concepts and guidelines for a wide range of consumer brands. The role is full of exciting enterprises and people who like bouncing ideas around as much as you.
We’re a team of six made up of founders Kate and Emily, a project manager, strategist, copywriter and junior creative. We’ve doubled in size in the past year and have just signed an exciting office in Farringdon.
What we’ve done
Since launching four years ago we’ve re-positioned and re-storied consumer-facing brands like Rude Health, Lick and Cath Kidston. Given Bumble UK, Mindful Chef and Radley a new tone of voice. Helped create start-up brands like Aver and Homethings. We run a weekly newsletter called The Word and manage a 200-strong Slack channel of copywriters called The Wordsmiths, which has become a space for swapping stories and nerding out on words.
You will own our tone of voice offering at Sonder & Tell – positioning, creating and building out actionable and differentiated tone of voice guidelines for a wide range of consumer brands. You’ll oversee client projects from immersion to implementation, and be confident in running training sessions to onboard guidelines with a team. You will vary TOV work with brand narrative projects, exploring and probing consumer and cultural insights alongside product truths and brand beliefs – to build creative stories. You will work alongside our in-house Strategists and Copywriters.
Your responsibilities will be varied but will include:
- Tone of voice positioning and creative development
- Writing detailed tone of voice guidelines
- Onboarding and training tone of voice
- Conceptualising brand narratives from brand positioning
- Writing creative brand stories and strategic messaging hierarchies
- Brand copywriting – packaging, taglines, social captions, blog posts, campaign stories
- Leading conversations and workshops for our Slack channel of copywriters
The ideal person will:
- Have at least five years’ experience working in a creative strategy or copywriting role, ideally at an agency
- Be a confident facilitator of writing workshops and training sessions
- Be able to show a varied portfolio of work from consumer brands
- Be an excellent writer, able to transition between different tones, styles and forms
- A university degree is not prerequisite – we'll consider people based on the strength of their work and enthusiasm for the challenge
Benefits of working at Sonder & Tell:
- Opportunity to become a leading role in a growing company
- A creative working environment at a central London office and supportive team culture
- Workplace pension offered through NEST
- Coaching with MoreHappi 2x a month
- Workplace wellness package through Juno
- Cycle to work scheme
On Inclusive Storytelling
We named our company Sonder & Tell after the made-up word ‘sonder’ which means that everyone has their own story; their own unique way of seeing the world. We value inclusive storytelling and are committed to hiring people from diverse backgrounds. Not just because it’s the right thing to do but because it makes for richer stories. After all, it’s only through inclusive conversations that we can hope to build diverse and inclusive brands. If you share our values (and a passion for grammar memes), you’ll find a home at Sonder & Tell.