Location: London or UK based
Hybrid working: Tuesdays / Wednesdays in our office in Clerkenwell, London
Sonder is the realisation that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own. In short: everyone has a story. At Sonder & Tell, we apply that thinking to brands. Believing that each and every one has a unique narrative to share with the world. We help them tell it.
We’re looking for a head of story to join our team. Someone equally versed in strategy and copywriting to lead our Storybook Positionings – which move on from the textbook formula for ‘for x, y is z…’ and instead bring brand worlds to life. It’s about capturing the attention of our clients and pushing the creativity of our team from once upon a time to happily ever after.
We’re looking for someone who believes that stories should be the starting point for brands. Who has an incredible command of language, but can envision a brand-world beyond words. And a leader and mentor that can motivate and inspire our team to do the same.
This role will be our ninth hire at S&T. Currently we’re a team of six, made up of our founders and Directors Kate (CEO) and Emily (Strategy Director), our project manager Hilary, Strategist Lucinda, Copywriter Rae and Junior Creative Jules. We have a new strategist and copywriter joining in Jan 2022 and a plan for new hires – including our first visual designer – to be made throughout the year.
What we’ve done
Since launching four years ago we’ve re-positioned and re-storied consumer-facing brands like Rude Health, Lick, Yoto, Cath Kidston and Wild Nutrition. Given THE OUT, Mindful Chef and Radley a new tone of voice. Run sprints for the likes of Sweaty Betty, noissue and Mother Root. And delivered our new impact workshop for GymShark.
This person will be a client-facing creative lead on the Sonder & Tell team with a strong grasp of strategy and copywriting. For Storybook Positionings, that means attending or leading key workshops and presentations; turning insights and research into creative strategies and writing briefs for copywriters to bring them to life. For sprints, they will act as a creative editor: mentoring the team with internal check-ins, joining brainstorms where needed, and giving final sign off of strategic and creative work.
We’re looking for someone who’s as excited about writing creative concepts as they are at mentoring a team to come up with their own. Who’s comfortable setting a vision for a team and supporting them to make it happen. We’re also looking for someone who can constantly challenge and push our offering, finding new and exciting ways to set Sonder & Tell apart.
Your responsibilities will be varied but will include:
- Lead the creative concept stage of all large-scale brand positioning/story and tone projects
- Create positioning statements, narratives, manifestos, tone of voice concepts and executional ideas to bring concepts to life
- Present creative concepts to clients, creating decks or briefing team (and come up with new ways to push our presentation through design, video, audio etc)
- Lead, inspire and manage the S&T creative team throughout large-scale brand positioning/story and tone projects
- Create briefs for strategists and copywriters at both concept and execution phase
- Work alongside CEO to feed into performance reviews for the Creative team, as well as advising on new talent
- Creative marketing projects for Sonder & Tell brand
- Speak at industry events and act as a representative of Sonder & Tell in the creative community
The ideal person will:
- Have at least five years’ experience as a Creative Strategist or Senior Copywriter, ideally at an agency
- Experience working on positioning, tone of voice, manifestos, and creative campaigns for well known consumer-facing brands
- A university degree is not prerequisite – we'll consider people based on the strength of their work and enthusiasm for the challenge
- Be a confident writer that can adopt a new tone of voice for every project
- Be both a strategic and creative thinker that can think rationally and emotionally
- Be entrepreneurial and future-thinking – someone that can constantly break the mould of what “strategy” is and present new ideas that S&T can own.
- Be both a leader and team player who values being part of an agency
- Be flexible; we don’t work in silos as so you’ll be expected to get involved in different areas of the business. Our team is always learning and growing.
Benefits of working at Sonder & Tell:
- Opportunity to become a leading role in a growing company
- A creative working environment and supportive team culture
- Workplace pension offered through NEST
- Coaching with MoreHappi 2x a month
- Workplace wellness package through Juno
- Learning & Development budget
On Inclusive Storytelling
We believe everyone has their own unique way of seeing the world. We value inclusive storytelling and are committed to hiring people from diverse backgrounds. Even if you don’t feel you meet all the criteria please apply anyway. It’s only through inclusive conversations that we can hope to build diverse and inclusive brands. If you share our values (and a passion for grammar memes), you’ll find a home at Sonder & Tell.